December 26, 2008

5 year plan and all that

I'm getting ready for a major upheaval and I paused to consider a few things.  Usually, I spend most of my time chasing my tail.  Work, drink, sleep, drink, eat, sleep some more, drink some more, and back to work.  It's like trying get a Mustang out of ditch in January.

So, I decided to take a job back in Fort Wayne.  It's pretty much just a change of scenery doing the same crap I'm doing now.  Other than getting to hang out with the Granola family, I get guaranteed hours and possibly a little overtime.  

I'm going to work as much as they will let me for the first couple of years.  With reduced expenditures, I should manage to pay off everything.  Possibly even the house if I play my card properly.

Once I'm debt free or nearly so, working for money to pay bills is over and done with.  So then why work?  Other than beer money, seriously why continue doing mindless repetitive work?  

That's where the five year plan/vision board/finding my calling comes into play.  Once I have all my shit paid off, I get to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.  And  I think I've got a plan.  

I like wine.  And beer.  And margaritas.  Oh hell, I like to drink.  So why not make a living with what I enjoy.  At first I thought about a winery in Indiana.  I will miss the weekends at the winery listening to bands and drinking wine.  Currently, there are six or seven wineries in the area and a couple of real nice wine shops.

Then I remembered all the rose bushes and other herbalesque victims I've nurtured.  At least when I plant things, I'm halfway done with the burial.  I'm sure given time and patience, I could grow some lovely grapes and other fruit to ferment.  But that sounds like more work than I want to take one.

Then I remembered the Tin Roof.  It was a nice little place with fancy frou frou coffee drinks and a nice selection of wine and beer.  They served dinner and often had bands entertaining customers.  Why not bring the winery experience to the Fort?  A nice building down town an extensive selection of wine.  I was even thinking of doing something kitchy, like featuring only domestic wines. And, since there are now wineries in all fifty states, I'll have the largest selection of domestic wines in the country.  At least one from white and red from each state.  B.B. King will provide the blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment