October 13, 2009

Hippie Stew

After much searching and agonizing and cussing, I finally got all the ingredients to my Hippie stew

1 large red onion
1 large yellow onion
Mushrooms, lots of them and in different varieties
half a bag baby carrots
1 stick butter (sorry vegans)
Some fresh green bean if you like
A few heaping table spoons of flour
1 cup merlot
1 box vegetable broth
1 box mushroom broth
salt
pepper
sage
oregano
garlic
other spices hiding in the cabinet next to the stove


In a large soup pan, melt the butter over low heat.
Slice the onions
After the butter melts, but isn't scorched, add the onions. (if I had real garlic, I would add some diced garlic at this time, but I didn't)
Cook the onions until they're mushy (technical term there, I swear)
While the onions are cooking, wash and chop the mushrooms.
(If you're using some dried wild mushrooms, soak them in water or wine)
Add some salt, pepper, garlic powder, sage, thyme, season salt
Stir it up
Add three or four heaping spoonfuls of flour and mix until you have an oiniony mess
Add the mushrooms (including the juice)
Add the broths and wine
Stir
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
Add green bean, carrots, and other fresh vegetables
Simmer for a while

I would say share and enjoy, but since I didn't bother to add meat, no one else in the family will eat it

No comments:

Post a Comment