August 27, 2008

Back from the void

So, I finally get off my ass to replace the nasty twenty year old carpet in the house. After comparison shopping and waiting for the couple to kick in, I was off to Lowe's. The cheapest stuff(hey, I'm getting ready to sell the damn place) they had in stock.

So, after tearing up carpet and padding and pulling or pounding staples, I was ready for underlayment. Following the instructions on the interwebs, I decided to start with the longest wall. With the help of Carrie, we started to lay the first row. That didn't turn out so well. The floor has lumps (my lumps, my lumps, my lovely floor lumps). So we, ok Carrie, call it a night and consider working the other wall.

After she leaves, I finish ripping up carpet and padding. And notice the areas in the subflooring that received the most damage from spillage. Particle board is like a wood based sponge, so there was significant swelling in a few areas. It was profound enough to require replacement. Resigned to that, I decide to call it a night and try to sleep.

I get the local lumber yard to cut the subflooring to the size I need and deliver it to the house. (There are a few advantages to living in a small town.) After breaking out the prybars, hammer, and chisles, the demolition began. And, as the particle board was peeled back, there they were, hardwood floors, praise ceiling cat.

They need to be refinished, but hardwood floors in ok condition are better than carpet or laminate. So now, I have to pull up carpet in the rest of the house. And I have come to hate pulling nails. But one day, I might be finshed with at least one of my projects

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, hardwood floors! That should increase the value of the house, don't you think? I just don't get why people ever cover that up. Maybe it's the nasty interior decorating that was going on in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They need to be refinished and a few boards need to be replaced. To someone slapping lipstick on a pig, new sub-flooring and carpet hides a multitude of sins

    ReplyDelete