November 14, 2008

Apathy as a political movement

I guess apathy sums up my social political views.  Gays getting married, don't really care.  Marijuana legalization, don't care.  Smoking, don't really care.  What two, or three or four, consenting adults do is not my business.   I would hope that anyone I extend that indifference to returns the favor.

Most of the country is all in a twitter about the gay marriage ban in California.  I don't care if they marry.  I honestly don't think that it's the government's business in telling me who I can or can't marry.  Of course, the government shouldn't be able to force any church to recognize or bless such a union.  

There is a strong segment of society that believes that being gay is a choice.  So frigging what if that's a choice, smoking and drinking are choices, too. Homosexuality is an abomination of God's will.  I'm no theologian, or Christian for that matter, but while we have access to God's words, from a myriad of sources each of which translated several hundred times, very few people are privy to God's will or inner most thoughts.   

So who am I to judge the choices others make?  Who am I to deny  people the opportunity to make a heartfelt commitment to each other?  Just make sure I get an invite to the celebration.

Like I said, marry, don't marry, don't really care.  And I don't think the government should care, the government should take the $80 filing fee and buy the good toilet paper for the ladies' room.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment