November 6, 2008

I just want to be tall

When I was a kid and then in high school, people were concerned about my future.  They wanted to know if I was going to college or what I wanted to be when I grew up.

Well, I didn't make it to college right after high school, I ran off with the circus.  Not really, but the Marines was close enough in the 80s.  We had tents, occasionally we liberally applied thick make-up, and we had a serious kick ass band.  No elephants or trick dogs, of course, but there were plenty of jack asses.

After a couple of years as a stay at home mom and part time college student I ventured into the employment market.  Fast food is a make or break industry.  Either you learn to flip burgers and take the bullshit or you go nuts.  Usually you do both, sometime in the same shift.  

Follow that with a brief stint in full service restauranting, inbound customer service, and finally I landed in the post office.  The amazing thing, no matter where I've worked or how much I've been paid, the characters are pretty much the same.  The petty games and jealousy always seem to pop up.  

I never wanted to work at the post office as a kid.  Hell, I don't even remember playing post office as a kid.  Really, all I wanted to be was taller.  Guess that's why they make 4" heels


No comments:

Post a Comment