November 23, 2008

PLus Size Chocolate Pie

Every year at Thanksgiving, I experiment.  Usually my dinner experiments work spectacularly.  Last year, the crab dip was a hit.  And the cheddar bacon dip, was marvelous.  Oh, and the pepperoni pizza dip was finished off pretty quickly.

Before you think I'm a one note artist with dips, I do some incredible work with dessert.  I created a local treat commonly refereed to as Christmas Crack.  I waited until the last minute to make it last year, because I was trying to weasel out of any Martha Stewart tricks.  It didn't happen.  And give me half a bag of Oreos(crumbs and all), a couple of boxes of instant pudding, and cool whhhip, and I'll come up with something.

This year, I'm trying my hand at Plus Size Chocolate Pie.  Have I ever made it, well no. I have just finished fleshing out the design.  Implementation is another matter, but that can wait until Thursday.

The base of the pie is an Oreo cookie crust.  Oreo cookies are a perfect, because the cream filled center makes a good binding agent, so no extra butter is needed to make the crust.

The first layer will be no-bake cheesecake.  I found a fabulous recipe at kraft.com.  On top of that is a thin layer of chocolate fudge.  Not the stuff you put on ice cream, but actual fudge.  And then I'll follow with the standard chocolate pie filling of whipped cream and chocolate pudding, in that I'll mix either toffee chips or chocolate chips.  For the top, I'm still wavering between meringue and whipped cream.  I'll figure that out later.


No comments:

Post a Comment