September 23, 2008

Temptation thy name is go-go taquito

Why must I be such a weak woman? 

I tried being a vegetarian, but I got fat.  And since I much prefer to be a size 4 over having to buy jeans in double digits, I think I'm going to go back  to my old diet.

I'll still indulge in salads and grilled cheese sandwiches, but look out take out, here I come.

A couple of years ago, breakfast was a calorie laden overly preserved blueberry muffin washed down with half a gallon of diet coke.  With a mid morning snack of a sugar free energy drink, the monster 16 ounce size, please.  Lunch/dinner was what ever sounded good from the gas station.

All  gas stations have road food.  Some of it is simple beef jerky and potato chips.  Other establishments carry packages sandwiches with a over processed meat and plastic cheese.  But there is almost aways something to eat at a gas station, even if it isn't always tasty or even edible.

You can always count on Seven-eleven to have a fine selection of hot dogs and other eat and drive foods.  Nothing calms road rage like a platter of almost stale chips covered in a gelatinous cheese like substance (make sure you presquirt the cheese or you'll get the cheese booger) topped with what is referred to as chili.  

And Quick Trip, talk about gourmet to go.  Diligently watching the times on the grab and go delicacies keep the egg rolls crisp and the doughnuts soft.  Wash it all down with 44 ounces of Sugar Free Rooster Booster, and life is good.

But my ultimate weakness is the bbq chicken sandwich at Rhodes 101 on West Columbia.  There isn't any secret recipe.  They take left over chicken strips, soak them in bottled bar-b-que sauce, and load them up on a honey roll.  Adding cheddar cheese might take it up a notch, but why mess with perfection.

So, while I have issues with all the hormones and antibiotics loaded into animals in the corporate farms, I simply can't turn away from an Arby-Q sandwich.  And the smart part of me knows that breading and deep frying food is bad, but it sure makes it tasty.  I guess I'm a quitter, but never has quitting ever tasted so good.



Oh, and who told the people at Rhodes that it was fine to raise the price of Guinness by two bucks a six pack.  I really don't want to give it up, but I may have to at these prices.

1 comment: